LSD (AKA Acid, Doses, Hits, Bartman, Gelatin chips, Microdot, Sugar Cubs, Tabs, Trips, Boomers, Yellow Sunshines) is Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, which is found in ergot, a fungus that grows on rye and other grains. It is one of the most potent mood-altering chemicals.
|What does it look like?
Acid can be found in tablets, capsules and sometimes in liquid form. It is odorless, colorless and has a mild bitter taste. It is usually taken orally. Acid is added to absorbent paper and is then divided into small, decorated squares that look like stamps. Each square represents one dose. Typically, each dose contains 20 to 80 micrograms of LSD. During the 60’s and 70’s, dosages ranged from 100 to 200 micrograms and higher.
What are the immediate effects?
The effects of LSD are unpredictable depending on the amount taken, the surroundings in which the drug is used, and on the user’s personality, mood and expectations. Usually the effects of the drug are felt 30 to 90 minutes after the drug is ingested.
Physical effects include:
- Visual and auditory hallucinations
- Dilated pupils
- Panic and extreme confusion
- Higher body temperature
- Increased heart rate and blood pressure
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- A bad trip
What are the long-term effects?
- Persistent Psychosis
- Hallucinogen Perception Disorder (Flashbacks)
Yes, teens are using LSD.
In 2008, 802,000 Americans age 12 and older had abused LSD at least once in the year prior to being surveyed. Source: National Survey on Drug Use and Health (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration Web Site). The NIDA-funded 2008 Monitoring the Future Study showed that 1.3% of 8th graders, 1.8% of 10th graders, and 2.7% of 12th graders had abused LSD at least once in the year prior to being surveyed.