Everyone is entitled to have a healthy relationship. There are certain expectations that one should have while in a relationship. It is sometimes hard to set boundaries in a relationship but this is a necessary process. These are examples of things that are contained in a healthy relationship.
- Respect and Communication (discuss and be clear on your physical boundaries)
- No abuse (verbal, physical, or sexual)
- Space; you and your partner can do things without each other and hang out with other people without you or your partner getting upset, accusing the other of cheating, etc.
- Comfortable with each other physically.
- Trust; no spying on each other, checking pagers, or having other people give “reports”
- No put-downs especially when fighting or angry at one another.
- Comfortable communicating with each other
- No manipulation or blaming
- Communication (if necessary talk about how you communicate when you fight and when you are not fighting.)
- NOT being “over jealous”
- Trust and honesty
- Communication (talk about expectations of what you’re willing or not willing to do, safe sex, history, and consequences.
- No pressure
- Comfortable to say yes and no at all times to any activity
You have a right to…
- Be alone
- Express your ideas
- Express your feelings, even if they’re negative
- Choose your work and your religion
- Live without fear
- Have time to yourself
- Spend your own money however you want to
- Get emotional support from your family and friends
- Choose your friends – men and women
- Express your strengths, abilities, and talents
- Decide if you want to participate in sexual acts or not.