- The female condom, or vaginal pouch, is a loose fitting rubbery sheath with two built in rings.
- The outer ring at the open end of the sheath fits around the outside of the woman’s labia, anchoring the condom for intercourse.
- The other ring is near the closed-end of the sheath and is placed to fit over the cervix.
- The female condom comes pre-lubricated and does not need precise fitting or placement.
- The device holds sperm like a condom, and is thrown away after a single use. For best results, it should be used with a spermicide.
Facts about Female Condoms
- It can be bought in most drug stores and does not require a doctor’s prescription.
- It can be inserted long before having sex.
- The female condom is effective in preventing sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy.
- It may be clumsy to handle at first.
- Female condoms are expensive but are available at some clinics at no charge.
- The female condom is good for one-time use only!
September 15, 2010